Wednesday, April 22, 2009

No longer hanging with the Dodo Birds


You may have thought I have gone the way of the Dodo but alas I have only been hibernating. It is one of those periods where I have a lot on my mind but really nothing to say. I think I have gotten in the habit of posting pictures rather than writing. Avoidance, a theme in my life, which is always a detriment to me.

Anyway, let's start with health. Geez, my health fluctuates like Dow Jones. Way back in October I attempted to turn a new leaf on this subject, specifically eating better. Typical fashion, I would feed my kids better food than I was willing to eat. Remember the old adage monkey see, monkey do? Well, came to bite me in the ass three or four times. Whoever thinks that kids don't pay attention to the littlest things that adults do day in and day out is deluded. I am eating better. I am feeding my kids better when I get the opportunity to cook them meals which is limited to the weekends.

I get some of the stuff to stick in their brains. Carrots good, celery good, broccoli good, marshmallows GOOD! Ok, so I let them have some treats, but it is monitored. My kids, I mean they are great kids, they don't ask for soda, they drink primarily water, some juice, and milk. If I have done anything good, the water thing is HUGE for me. If I get them ice cream I try to get the sugar free stuff, it tastes the same, or sugar free Popsicles. Kids like what you like for the most part. Their tastes change so quickly I need to step the menu up a notch.

As for me, still on a tough trail. I gave up my soda, I am a recovering soda addict. Gave up any resemblance of the foods my twisted fundus craved. Come to find out my fundus had bamboozled my stop eating mechanism more often than not so the result was, well obvious, PHAT. The fundus can't take all the credit, I just like, well like is not strong enough word, how about.....
ache for, covet, cry out for, die for, dream, eat one's heart out, fancy, give eyeteeth for, hunger for, itch for, long for, lust after, need, pine for, require, sigh for, spoil for, thirst for, want, yearn for, yen for

all those wonderful tasting foods that nutritionally are not good for me. But soft! What light through yonder window breaks? It is the East, and carbohydrates is the sun!

What makes all of this soooo bitter sweet is that I KNOW what I am supposed to eat, I KNOW I am supposed to exercise so many times a week, I know this and yet I still sit on my ass. Avoidance, yet again. On the upside, I am eating better, not as much food consumed during each meal and I feel great. I have managed to lose 26 pounds. I did not do this all on my own I had some help but the end result is that I feel better and the kids notice it too. Exercising? Well that is a whole other post.

Just some thoughts for today.

1 comment:

Bring it! Toss in your quarter.