Thursday, May 17, 2012

Human Condition

My Human Condition you ask? First I have to find it, just… let… me…pocket…..AHHHHH there it is! It’s a little dusty, definitely worn around the edges, a bit wrinkled, oooooh looks a bit bruised. Yikes, gonna have to tend to that one. Is that a bald spot?

Perception is the one of the major defenses for the human condition. We all do it. Why should you be any different? The perceived look of your skin, how many children do you have and “just how did your body just snap back so fast”, the consistent declaration of togetherness whatever form that may be. Perception, yeah that’s right, perception. Our human condition has been refocused on how others perceive us; our validation, our woe, our worthiness, our actuality.

Perception even goes as far to exist in the mirror. I look into the mirror and I am blinded by perception. My effectiveness or lack thereof is controlled by perception. Should I care what I think? Should I care what others think? Who the frick is me? Our demons managed on the end of string, our successes tittering on top of a pole, while me, just me is desperately trying to perceive I can manage it all.


Look at me! Look at me now!” said the cat. “With a cup and a cake on the top of my hat! I can hold up TWO books! I can hold up the fish! And a little toy ship! And some milk on a dish! And look! I can hop up and down on the ball! But that is not all! Oh, no. That is not all... “Look at me! Look at me! Look at me NOW! It is fun to have fun but you have to know how. I can hold up the cup and the milk and the cake! I can hold up these books! And the fish on a rake! I can hold the toy ship and a little toy man! And look! With my tail I can hold a red fan! I can fan with the fan as I hop on the ball! But that is not all. Oh, no. That is not all...”


My perception has changed over the years, some good, some bad, although while I struggle to perceive my actual self, I manage to patch the holes left behind; smooth, clean spots for new things, new perceptions. As the years roll increasingly faster by, I wonder if ever I will reach a point where reality trumps the perception of what I want, what I need, how to love and be loved. The indelible mark of the human condition is ever present.

“It is not the consciousness of men that determines their being, but, on the contrary, their social being that determines their consciousness.”
― Karl Marx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bring it! Toss in your quarter.